It's not uncommon for adults to return to college after many years to pursue a new career, retrain, or earn a certificate, degree or professional certification. Others may return to college for personal enrichment. Recent high school graduates may want to assess their readiness for post-secondary education.
Some adults may be apprehensive about the transition to a college environment while others may simply need a quick refresher to prepare for a placement exam or for their first course.
Bridge to Success courses are designed to enable you to identify strengths and skills as a learner and to think about ways to use those skills to accomplish personal, professional and academic goals.
Learning to Learn
Learning to Learn will help you build confidence in your ability to be successful in these pursuits and will provide the tools and skills necessary to be successful in an academic setting and in the workplace.
To access Learning to Learn, go to: Learning to Learn
To access the Learning to Learn Student Toolkit, go to: The Learning to Learn Student Toolkit
Succeed with Math
Succeed with Math will help you review key math concepts and then apply these concepts to real world applications.
To access Succeed with Math, go to: Succeed with Math
To access the Succeed with Math Student Toolkit, go to: The Succeed with Math Student Toolkit
- Unit 1: Math and You builds math confidence, develops problem-solving strategies and explores study skills to succeed in mathematics.
- Unit 2: Getting Down to Basics addresses the history of numbers, using numbers, lines, decimals, rounding, estimating, basic operations and the order of operations and using knowledge in real-world scenarios.
- Unit 3: Numbers Everywhere investigates units of measurement, signed numbers and reading and writing mathematics.
- Unit 4: Parts of the Whole focuses on writing and using fractions and reinforces strategies for what to do when stuck on a problem.
- Unit 5: Relationships Among Numbers addresses how numbers are used in daily life and connections between fractions, percentages and ratios.
- Unit 6: Exploring Patterns and Formulas instructs students on visualizing problems using pictures and diagrams, interpreting and using notation for inequalities, and interpreting word formulas to solve problems.
- Unit 7: Investigating Geometric Shapes and Sizes prepares students in understanding the key properties of geometry and in interpreting and drawing scale diagrams.
- Unit 8: Communicating with Data, Charts and Graphs teaches how to calculate means, medians and ranges for data sets and how to interpret and construct tables.
Interviews and Comments
Video extracted as four clips from a research interview carried out in March 2012 (with the permission of the participant).
- Merry's New Learning Opportunity
- Merry Learns Basic Math Concepts
- Bridge to Success Making a Difference for Merry
- Merry Learns an Appreciation for Math through Bridge to Success